From the Home Page of www.anengagedlife.org under construction.
Ready for viewing in May 2019.
CRISIS? WHAT CRISIS?
We are responsible for starting the sixth major extinction in the history of the Earth.
This is the greatest extinction of diversity since the extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
Selfishness, feelings of helplessness and lack of political/corporate will inhibit action.
Here are major examples of the Global Crisis
In alphabetical order:
- Anxiety, stress and the daily struggle around home and work
- Desire to maximise pleasure above all else including use for pleasure of travel by air, roads and ships
- Epidemic of cancer, obesity/excessive weight, heart disease and diabetes.
- Citizens handing control of our lives over to dictatorships, elected or unelected.
- Collapse of eco-systems, loss of diversity, absence of ethics and what is spiritual about life.
- Diminishing food and water supplies to feed a global population
- Dirty and polluted cities with constantly swelling populations in need of work
- Fossil fuel emissions from mining and factories for profit and satisfy our demands
- Large scale migration due to wars, human made disasters and natural disasters.
- Loss of 70% of creatures in a generation – due to climate change, human occupation and recreation.
- Morally bankrupt businesses profiting from providing harmful practices – massive tax avoidance, meat industry, tobacco industry and a daily diet of pills. Daily addiction to mobile phones with several hours daily in the spell of screens.
- More extinction of species. Earth loses species at 1000 to 10,000 times the natural rate for plants, insects, birds and mammals.
- Obsession with economic growth in politics and business as resources diminish.
- Ongoing destruction of forests in various climates.
- Seriously endangered or vulnerable species include the elephant, tiger, rhino, gorilla, leopard, orangutan and polar bear.
- Plastic and micro-plastic polluting our oceans, lakes, rivers, water supplies and infecting fish and marine life.
- Conflict, corruption, crime, family breakdown, inequality, phobias, prejudices, racism, social issues, unemployment, violence.
- Rapid swings in climate producing heatwaves, freezing temperatures, floods, Tsunamis, droughts and massive fires.
- Selling of arms. Threat of nuclear war. Ongoing wars.
- Owing to invasions, bombing and drones: death, loss of limbs/wounds and trauma for millions of citizens – wars upon 14 Muslim countries in the past 20 years.
- Citizens subjected around the world to murderous acts of terror.
- Short term vision of influential people in the field of politics, corporations, science and religion.
- Subjugation of the young, from children to university students, to intense pressure to succeed at the expense of their peers and at the cost of their natural happiness. close friendships and love of life.
- UN food and agriculture organisation announced we have 60 years of harvests left due to ongoing loss of top soil. Consumption of animals and dairy products impacting on life and resources.
- Widespread public addiction daily to medication for anxiety, depression and pain. Medication controls more and more of the mind of society.
Develop daily an engaged life. Support meaningful change. Support those who campaign, too.