I decided to take a lateral flow test for Covid. I have no symptoms of Covid but wish to familiarise myself with the process as I start to travel more. I asked a person in the hospitality industry who takes a lateral flow test twice a week. The person kindly gave a basic guidance of the general sequence of the process from start to finish.
In the UK, you go to your local pharmacist, complete a form on your mobile phone, and you will receive a blue package for seven tests. The box contains detailed instructions and there is also an online video available.
The guide below for the flow test might serve as an additional support. Please note it is not a professional list of instructions.
Useful Points for Lateral Flow Test
- Empty fluid with cap to twist into test-tube.
- Place test tube in the hold in the packaging.
- Use mobile phone torch to see back of throat.
- Take swab to membranes on both sides of the throat.
- Use swab and move slowly up one nostril until you reach point of no further.
- Take eight seconds for all three areas and keep turning swab in all three areas.
- Turn swab all the time. Rotate swab around the nostril several times.
- Mix swab with fluid in test tube for 15 seconds.
- Secure the dripper lid of test tube.
- Place two drops of fluid from test tube into the hole marked S on test strip.
- Remember you need to invert and squeeze the two drops.
- Make sure the test strip is placed flat.
- The test is complete after 30 mins.
- A line at C confirms the test is valid. A second line at T means you are Covid-19 positive.
- If tested positive, self-isolate for 10 days to protect others.
- Advise your clinic/physician.
Be Mindful. Covid is still highly infectious whether you have had both jabs, one jab or neither.