Lots of views about the self (or ‘I’) arise.
Every view of the self, of I, might seem real or some views seem real at the time.
We might express a few or many of them.
Here are 35 views. Read slowly, please.
- The self (or I am) is inside the body
- The self is one with the body
- The self is different from the body
- The self is the same as the body-mind.
- The self is not the same as body-mind
- The self is more than the body-mind
- The self starts harmless and harmful actions
- The self experiences the results of harmless and harmful activities
- The self is constantly changing
- The self always feels the same
- It is the same self in the past as in the present
- It is a different self in the present than in the past
- The self in the present depends upon the past
- The self in the present does not depend upon the past
- The past self and the present self are not the same and not different
- The self sees the self
- The self sees the non-self
- The non-self sees the self
- The non-self sees the non-self
- The self sees no self
- No self sees no self.
- Views about the self show what is true
- Views about the self show what is false
- Views about the self show some are true and some are false
- The self can make choices at any time
- The self cannot make choices at any time
- The self can make some choices sometimes and not at other times
- The self can develop, stay the same or regress
- The self in the future can be different to the self in the present or past
- The self in the future cannot be different from the present
- The self in the future cannot be different from the past
- Some of the self will stay the same and some of the self will be different in the future
- Self-interest, self-help and self-compassion shrink around the self
- The self is the self of all
- Myself? Yourself? What self?
PS.No view about myself or yourself is worth holding onto.